BLOG TOPICS INDEX

TITLES BENEATH GRAPHICS LINK TO SOURCES (under construction beginning 070317 and thereafter.)

Link to NewFoundations Bloglocus Topics Indexed Alphabetically

RETURN TO NEWFOUNDATIONS.COM

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Micromanaging Teachers: Is Boredom the Goal?

Back in the sixties, my high school newspaper quoted a fellow student: "There comes a point when boredom becomes a mystical experience." Now that I'm approaching my own sixties, I find myself revisiting that quote more and more frequently.

Unfortunately, I revisit it most often when I am out in the schools. And it's especially sad that many of those teachers know their teaching is usually boring -- sometimes pointless and even unjustifiable. They are just doing their jobs as instructed. Most, clearly, will not last long.

That's sad enough, but I'm even more upset when I run into new teachers who actually believe that the intellectually stultifying teaching which has been imposed on them is a good thing, or at least "normal."

To examine these issues further, see Trivializing Teaching

Cordially
-- WAC